Address: OLIMPICO GRANDE TORINO, VIA FILADELFIA, 96/B, 10134 TORINO
Suggested routes to arrive at the Olympic Stadium in Turin
(Distance from the center: 7 Km)
From Torino Porta Nuova train station: Line 4
from Torino Porta Susa train station: line 10
from Torino Lingotto Station: lines 14, 14 b
from Torino Dora GTT: Shuttle 10, DoraFly + line 10 (from Porta Susa)
With public transport
Lines 4, 10, 14, 14 b, 17, 63
Metro + line 4 (Porta Nuova)
Metro + line 10 (Vinzaglio)
Parking CAIO MARIO + line 4 or 10
The GTT railway connects the city of Turin with the Turin Airport Caselle in only 19 minutes.
Where is it: between corso Sebastopoli and via Filadelfia in the south of Turin
Year Built: 1933 (renovated in 2006)
Number of rings: 3
Gates IN / OUT: 7
Stadium Capacity: 25.300 seats
Opening of the gates: 90 minutes before the match (unless otherwise notified)
The Olympic Grande Torino Stadium in Turin, former Municipal Stadium was the venue of the opening and closing ceremonies of the XX Olympic Winter Games, held respectively on 10 and 26 February 2006, and the opening ceremony of the IX Paralympic Winter Games, celebrated on 10 March 2006.
After the Olympics, the structure was converted to host football matches. The stadium is located in the district of Santa Rita, in the south of Turin.
Originally dedicated to Mussolini, the stadium was built to host the Littoriali Games of the year XI (1933), and the International Student Championships. The stadium, after the inaugural events in 1934, hosted some matches of the World Cup held in Italy. From the 1934-35 season the football league matches were played at the stadium, but not those of Turin, who at the time played in the Stadium Filadelfia, his property.
The Olympic Stadium has hosted matches of both teams in Turin since the end of the fifties, when even the Torino left the Filadelfia Stadium.
The Olympic Stadium was abandoned because the Torino and Juventus went to play at the Stadio delle Alpi from season 1989/1990, which was built for the World Cup Italy ’90.
The Olympic Stadium hosted the temporary headquarters of the Automobile Museum (opened in 1939) from 1983 to the end of the 50s until transfer to Corso Unità d’Italia.
A historic match was played In the Municipal Stadium on May 11, 1947, of the Italian National football team, in fact, with the national team took to the field as many players from the same team: in Italy-Hungary, which ended 3-2 (with two goals of Gabetto and one of Loik), as many as 10 players out of 11 belonged to the Grande Torino. In 1959 and 1970, the Stadium hosted the Universiade. The Municipal Stadium was also home of non-sporting events, such as concerts by the Rolling Stones, The Police and Madonna.
For the Olympics in Turin in 2006 a renovation project was started, entrusted to two architecture studios from Verona: Giovanni Cenna Architect and Arteco. The restoration has preserved the existing structures, subject to the constraint of the Superintendent of Environmental and Architectural Heritage and added new vertical stand structures for the coverage of the entire stadium and a third ring steps, continuous and useful to support the roof.
On the west side 44 sky boxes were built. About a third of the lining of the cover is made of semi-transparent plastic, so as to avoid as much as possible that the shadow cast by itself can damage the turf due to less sunlight.
The renovation and adaptation to the norms of Pisanu’s law, unfortunately, have reduced the stadium capacity to 25300 seats.